Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Skinny German Food

Posted by Paulette

As Elmo would say, "I love to eat and try new foods!"
Tonight I was wanting some German food. So I texted my friend who is knowledgeable about these things and asked her for names of some of her favorites. Most of them I couldn't pronounce! 
However after doing a Google search for recipes, I decided that traditional German food is not diet worthy! There was so much cream, or butter, or bacon, or bread in all it's various forms. 
After reading through quite a few recipes, I thought I'd try to come up with a skinny version of some of them. 

German turkey Meatball Soup

Ingredients
1 pound ground turkey
2 eggs
4 slices gluten free bread
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
pinch of ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

Mix meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. 
Heat a large skillet to medium high heat and add 4 tablespoons canola oil. Let it heat up until the oil shimmers and then make 2 inch balls from the mixture and place into the oil. Let fry until brown and then turn over to other side. Place into gently simmering pot.


While your meatballs are cooking, in a large stock pot add:

4 cups chicken stock (mine was homemade and had no salt. If you use store bought you may want to reduce the salt below)
4 cups water
6 red potatoes, washed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt


When all of the meatballs are done cooking, add following to the remaining oil in the pan:


2 large celery stalks
4 garlic cloves


saute for about two minutes and then add to the pot.


Chop 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley and add to soup.





Mustard Vinegar Kale


Ingredients
2 bunches kale washed and dried, and most of the stem removed
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

In the still hot pan, add the kale. Mix together the last three ingredients and pour over the top of the kale. It should wilt within a few seconds. Once it's darkened in color, and wilted some, it's ready.

I've not had very much German food, but my husband told me it tasted authentic enough. I think that it satisfied my craving without having too much fat or carbs. 

If you make this, tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment