Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cleaning Up Our Diet: Chapter 1. Iodine, Flouride and Hypothyroidism

Posted by Paulette

There have been some pretty big changes in my family in the last year. No new baby. No new house, or car. So what has changed? Our diet.
 Just over a year ago, we were struggling with sleeplessness, being overweight, behavioral problems, lack of focus and inflammation!
A few people have pointed me in the right direction. A fact that I attribute to God, who gives only good gifts. There were many changes that I will discuss in following blog posts, but the first one I want to tell you about is water.

 It's the basis of all life, right? My family was drinking tap water. I thought that maybe it tasted a little bad, but it was safe for drinking.
I was wrong. My aunt was doing some research on her own health issues, when she came across a book by Dr David Brownstein called, Iodine:Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It. 

I read the book and was surprised to see how many of the symptoms of iodine deficiency my family and I had. I began buying bottled water and putting iodine with potassium iodide in our water. Within a week, I could already see improvement in my son Jonathan. He had dark circles under his eyes. The dark circles were gone. Since  then, the shininess has returned to his hair, he has slimmed down, and is sleeping properly.
 So why was the water so bad for us? Because it contains fluoride and other chemicals. The US government thinks Fluoride is essential for strengthening the enamel on your teeth.  
According to a 2006 report by the National Research Council of the National Academies , fluoride is "an endocrine disruptor in the broad sense of altering normal endocrine function."
This altered function can involve your thyroid, parathyroid, and pineal glands, as well as your adrenals, pancreas, and pituitary.
In Dr Brownstein's book, I learned that the iodide receptors will absorb the fluoride and then won't absorb the iodine found naturally in foods. Thyroid controls so many of the basic functions of the body. So if it's not happy, the rest of your body won't function properly. 
To read more about the effects of fluoride on your body, read this article: 
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/13/fluoride-and-thyroid-dysfunction.aspx

I am not an expert of the thyroid or a physician. I am only sharing what has worked for my family. 

In the next post I will discuss our daily bread.

1 comment: