Monday, June 17, 2013

Gluten Free Onion Rings

Posted by Paulette

If there's one thing I love, it's onion rings. I used to think that they were so good with ketchup, and then I tried  fry sauce! It's a strange  thing, fry sauce. While visiting Utah for the first time my husband to be took me to a place called the Purple Turtle. If you're ever in American Fork, UT, stop in and have some of their onion rings. You won't be sorry. We stopped in for a hamburger, some onion rings, and a shake, and when I picked up our meal, it came with this pink sauce. I asked for ketchup, (since I was the uninitiated) and the girl behind the counter looked at me strangely, and said, "you have fry sauce." What the heck is fry sauce? Well, my friends, it's a mixture of ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and sweet pickle juice. I suppose a more cultured person might call it an aioli. And it's the perfect thing to go with onion rings...but not fries! LOL! Although I've had them with sweet potato fries and I have to admit that I like that.


Sometimes being gluten free is a bit of a bummer. You miss all those foods that you took for granted. You know. the ones that contain flour? Remember the Dukes of Hazzard? You know the guy that comes into the room and says, "good news, good news!" Well that's running through my head, because I figured out a recipe for gluten free onion rings. Do you hear the angels singing? Maybe I'm a bit excited over this discovery. 
Do you want it? Do you want the recipe? Okay Okay, I'll give it to ya! Warning, this recipe makes a LOT of onion rings. It's okay, though, because you're going to want to freeze some for later. *wink*



 Gluten Free Onion Rings

Ingredients
4 medium onions, peeled and sliced into 1/4" thick rings
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups water
frying oil (I used a combination of safflower and olive oil)

Prepare 3 bowls like this:
In bowl #1 beat 2 eggs with 1 cup of milk
In bowl #2 1 cup of brown rice flour
In bowl # 3  (tempura batter) 1 cup of brown rice flour +1 cup tapioca starch+1/2 tsp sea salt+1/2 tsp baking soda+1 1/2 cups water

In a skillet or deep fryer, heat 1bout 3 cups of oil. Dip the onion slices first in the egg mixture, then in the flour, and lastly in the tempura batter, then in the hot oil. (You can test the oil with a bit of the batter. Just put a small amount into the pan, to test if the oil is hot enough to cook it rather quickly.) Fry the onion rings a small amount at a time, you don't want them to touch one another while in the oil. While the first rings are frying, line a cookie sheet with a double layer of paper towel. Turn the rings half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning. When they're finished, drain on the paper towel.

1 comment:

  1. Can almond milk be used instead of regular? My grandson is BOTH GF & DF! : (
    (He also claims he doesn't like catsup, but he did like Heinz Mayochup (kinda!) & especially their KRANCH. I'm thinking we can ALL agree on this one! : )

    ReplyDelete