Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How to make a broomstick skirt

Posted by: Paulette
One of the reasons I love thrift store shopping is that I can repurpose items that have been previously been loved and then tossed aside. Another reason is because I can find items that I would not be able to buy new because their prices are not in my budget. And lastly, I love finding fabric. Yards and yards of fabric for cheap! I've already posted how I love to upcycle sheets and even posted a picture of a skirt that I made a couple of years ago. I thought I'd share with you how I made that skirt in today's post.


Please read all directions before beginning. Once you understand how to do it, it's easy.

1. Measure around your hips. Multiply by 1.5
 Example: 40"x1.5=60"

2. Measure from your waist to the length that you want your skirt. Divide this number by how many tiers you want. I have 4.
 Example: 40" from my waist to my ankles. Divided by 4 = 10"

3. Now add seam allowances to this number. For the first tier, add 1 inch for the casing for elastic, and 1/4" for the seam allowance.
So, your  first tier will measure Length: 60" and width: 11 1/4 inches.

4. Now find measurements for the other tiers. For the length, add another 1 1/2 of the length before.
Example: Tier 1 was 60". Tier 2 will be 90". Tier 3 will be 135". And tier 4 will be 202".

5. To calculate tier number 2's width, add 1/2" to the 10". That's 1/4" seam allowance for top and bottom.

Tier number three same as number 2 for width.

Tier number 4 would have a 1/4" seam allowance at the top and a 1/2" added to the bottom for a 1/4" hem. The measurement would be 10 3/4".

Construction:
1. Fold over the top of tier 1 and make a casing for your elastic.
2. Gather the top of tier 2 and pin to the bottom of tier number one, and sew, right
   sides together.
3. Repeat for tiers 3 and 4.
4. Insert elastic and sew skirt closed from top to bottom.
5. Hem tier 4

On this skirt, I made ruffles at the top of each tier. You'll need to add another 1/4" to your width measurements. Fold over each top by 1/4" and sew as close to the raw edge as possible, then gather . Then when you construct the skirt, you will have the wrong side of the top tier pinned to the wrong side of the bottom tier. When you hold up the skirt, the tiers will be correct, with the ruffles on the outside. Then I sewed trim close to the seam.

 
Detail of tiers
 You can also make this skirt by just sewing the tiers right sides together and omit all of the ruffles on top, which goes a lot faster. Especially if you have a ruffle foot for your sewing machine. And you can do as many tiers as you want. Just remember to increase the length by 1 1/2 times the previous tier.
I recently made two skirts from a gauze window scarf, and then dip dyed them. The possibilities are endless. If you need some inspiration, take a look at my pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment