Sunday, July 31, 2011

Recognizing the voice of the Holy Spirit

Posted by: Paulette


The scriptures tell us that the Holy Ghost is a comforter, a protector, and a testator. He speaks to our spirits, not just our minds. He gives wisdom. There was a question asked in Sunday school today. What is the difference between wisdom and knowledge? I can teach you something and you will hear it and understand it according to the understanding of your intelligence. But if the Spirit speaks to you, it is through your spirit, and you receive a deeper understanding of that principle.
1st Corinthians 2 :9-14 speaks of this:
 9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
 10But God hath revealed them unto us by him: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
 11For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man,but the Spirit of God.
 12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
 13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost ; teacheth comparing spiritual things with spiritual.


 One of the things that I realized this week is that Satan can replicate many spiritual things. He can speak to my spirit too. But the feelings that I get when he is speaking to me are different than  those I feel when the Holy Ghost speaks. I may feel confidence in a decision that I've made, but that doesn't mean that I have received conformation from the Spirit that what I am doing is right. How can I discern the difference in the voices of the two?

 One of the things that I know is that the Holy Ghost and Heavenly Father are one in purpose. And the Spirit would never prompt me to do anything contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  If I know the teachings of Jesus, then, I can be sure of the voice of the Spirit. If I am reading the scriptures regularly, I will be comfortable with the voice of the Spirit. There is a feeling of peace that Satan can not replicate.

Doctrine and Covenants section 6 verses 15-16 says:
15 Behold, thou knowest that thou hast inquired of me and I did enlighten thy mind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been enlightened by the Spirit of truth;
 16 Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that there is none else save God that knowest thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart.

Doctrine and Covenants 8: 2-3
 2Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
 3Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground.

I've heard it said that tuning into the Spirit is like tuning in a radio signal, bu, I think it's more than just "listening." We need to use our spirit to "feel" the difference. 
When a baby is born they recognize the voices of their family. As they develop in the womb, they grow to recognize those voices. I think that I need to "stand in holy places" so that I recognize the voice of my Heavenly Father. This can be at church or the temple, but I think that ot needs to be mostly in my home. 
Living with five children can be chaotic, but, I need to spend some time in that peaceful place, listening to the voice of my Father in Heaven by reading my scriptures and communicating with him in prayer. If this means getting up an hour before the kids do, that is what has to happen. Because really, who couldn't use more peace in their lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment