Well, I guess I am in the process of writing a gluten free recipe book. have you noticed there's been a lot of gluten free muffins lately. Not all of the things I try turn out so well. But a good indication of success is the disappearance factor. Add to that the fighting factor, and we've got our self a winner. This muffin had both.
And I was accused of colluding with Satan in the invention of this muffin.
I have to admit, it was pretty darn good.
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Cashew Muffins with Salted Caramel
2cups brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup cashew bits
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt (for sprinkling over the top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- prepare muffin tins with papers or nonstick spray
- In a large bowl, mix together the first 8 ingredients.
- In a small bowl mix together the vanilla, oil, eggs and milk.
- Add to the larger bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, in a medium size pot, melt the butter.
- Add the brown sugar to it and let simmer on medium high heat, until it comes to soft ball stage,. you can test by dropping small amounts of the candy into ice water. If it forms a ball, and doesn't melt back into the water, it's ready. If you let it get past this point, you will have a harder candy shell.
- Spoon over the warm muffins, and sprinkle the salt lightly over the top.