Monday, September 16, 2013

Vegan Gluten Free Banana Muffins

Posted by Paulette

Some days I run out of eggs. And then I make a vegan muffin. This one is also gluten free, so there's the best of both worlds. I've been trying to feed my family healthier meals. I've replaced vegetable oils with olive oil and coconut oil.  This recipe uses coconut oil. I always use whatever I have on hand, and so it's nice to know about substitutions.
 We don't drink cow's milk anymore. I've read that it's likely to have puss in it, which makes sense. When you produce food on an industrial scale, you should expect lack of quality. I am able to source some raw goat's milk from a friend occasionally, but her goats are a bit dry right now. So we make due with almond milk. Coconut milk is good too, but has a distinctive taste that isn't good for everything. So, back to why this muffin is vegan. It's one of  those substitutions I was talking about. In baking you can substitute 2 tablespoons flax seed meal + 2 tablespoons water for 1 large egg.
My baked goods still have a good texture, but they turn out a bit blonder on top. So, time to share the goodness. By the way, that's real butter on top. I am not a purist.


Vegan Gluten Free Banana Muffins

2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
4 tablespoons flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 3 bananas, mashed
 2 cups almond milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pans with cupcake papers or nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together first 7 ingredients. In a smaller bowl mix remaining ingredients and then pour into large bowl, and mix until well incorporated. Spoon approx. 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

It's lovely if there's places where the brown sugar didn't fully incorporate into the muffin, because it creates pockets of caramel. So don't worry if your brown sugar is a bit clumpy.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. How can you add that much tapioca? I did and they came out like rubber... this is the second recipe I've tried with tapioca and I had the same trouble with that one as well. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete