Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thai Mango Chicken Curry

Posted by: Paulette

Last night I decided to use some of my huge bush of Thai basil to make some curry. Lucky for me, mangoes were on sale at the farmer's market.
Unfortunately, I'm not a shutter bug, and I have a camera that's on it's way out. Wouldn't it be fun to have a make up  and camera crew following me around all day. No! Thank you very much. I'd much rather throw my hair up into a headband, sans make up and just go about my creative way. Making messes and incredible things to eat and look at!
So, there will not be any shots of me cooking, or even a picture of how my curry turned out. It disappeared way too fast for that! 
The nice thing about curries, is that you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand, and just about any protein you choose. This one is made using chicken, but would be good with shrimp, or tofu.






Thai Mango Chicken Curry
2 Tablespoons oil
1 Pound chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion chopped
1-2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped

1 red bell pepper sliced
10  fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/4 (about 1 cub) coarsely chopped cabbage
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 large mango peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
1 Tablespoon ground lemon grass ( I get mine in a tube, but you can also use fresh)
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons fish sauce

crushed red pepper to taste (1 tsp to 2 TBSP)
1 Tbsp sugar or other sweetener ( I used about 4 packets of Truvia)
1 can coconut milk

A good hand full of Thai basil, chopped 
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped

Heat a deep, large pan to medium high heat. Add first five ingredients. Stir fry until onions are starting to caramelize and chicken has a good sear on it.
Add next 9 ingredients, turn heat down to medium low and steam vegetables for about 2 minutes, or until carrots and broccoli are al dente.
Add last three ingredients and cover until warm.
Just before serving, stir in the Thai basil and cilantro.

You could use sweet basil if that is all that's available, but Thai basil has a spicy smell to it, that differs from Italian basil. And if you live nearby, give me a call. I'm sure I have enough for you to have some if you want to swing by!


Ours was served over brown rice, but you can do other rice or Thai noodles.

                                                                  ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting me at Dogs & Grandkids. Here is the link you asked for to my boards http://pinterest.com/rgoins/.

    I am a new follower too. I love your dolls.

    ReplyDelete