Saturday, November 12, 2011

Baking Day

Posted by: Paulette
Last night the kids ate the last of the bread. I usually buy our bread from a bakery that has the day old stuff for $.50 a loaf. I used to make our bread, but getting it that cheaply without all of the labor involved, and it's whole grain. I just can't beat that. However, when it's the weekend, and the kids have eaten all the bread and the bakery won't be open until Monday, you gotta do something. That nasty stuff that they sell at the grocery store just won't cut it. It even smells nasty!

So after giving the kitchen a good cleaning, I got to work making muffins and whole wheat bread.
After making a protein smoothie for Dave and myself, that is.
As I'm loading up the blender with spinach, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, honey, rice protein powder and soy milk, my kids are turning up their noses and making such exclamations as, "Eeewww!" And "You put vegetables in your shake?!"
I don't care what they think about my shake. Sophia (3 years old) even asked for some, and when hers was gone asked for more!

Just to mess with their heads, I told them that I was now going to make them some vegetable muffins. You'd have thought that I was announcing the end of the world to hear Katie (4 years old) throw a fit! She sounded just like the wicked witch of the west as she cried, "I'm melting, melting!"
The muffins I made were very healthy, and tasty too, I was told by those who ate them. Since they were full of the kinds of things I'm allergic to, I had to take their word for it.
I don't really have a recipe. I just dump the ingredients in until the dough looks right.
In the muffins I made this morning, I dumped:
Pumpkin puree, Dehydrated (and reconstituted) grated carrots, raisins, powdered milk, 3 eggs, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ground ginger, whole wheat flour, white flour, canola oil, sea salt, baking powder,  powdered milk, and water.
 Since we also have run out of cereal, and have a limited budget to work with until next payday, it's nice to have lots of muffins for breakfasts for the next couple of days. I'll just pop some in the freezer and pull some out as needed.


After the muffins were popped into the oven, I started on the bread.I've been told that this is the best bread that people have tasted. I can't take credit for the recipe. I did make one modification, but that was just making the wheat  mixture half red and half white. You can find the recipe in an earlier blog that I started.
There's nothing like the smell of homemade bread filling the house. I feel so domestic today! Now who's going to do the dishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment