Thursday, December 6, 2012

Our First Nativity

Posted by Paulette


David and I are coming up on our 14th anniversary. We were married the 22nd of December 1998. Our first Christmas together, he didn't have a job. I did. However after paying expenses, I only had about $50 to spend. I asked Dave if he'd rather have a tree, or a nativity, and he said the latter. I bought this beautiful nativity for him for our first Christmas, and we've had a tradition of me giving him a nativity each year since. Sometimes they're small, and sometimes they're grand, but this particular one will always be the most special.
 I am so glad that he decided upon a nativity instead of a tree. It told me that he had his priorities straight. He's the same man who has given people on the street all the change in his pocket, or a $20 bill. 
Christmas for our family has never been one where we spend loads of money, rather, we try to give mostly handmade gifts. We have many family gatherings where we are reminded of the reason for the season, Jesus Christ. There is so much symbolism to teach our children about our Savior. 
 This year we have spent a lot of our Christmas money helping family and friends. I am not sorry for it. I hope that we can do a good job of teaching our children how to be givers, how to live a charitable life, helping others, and thinking little of themselves, and having gratitude for all that they have. 

             It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment