Thursday, June 21, 2012

Replacement "Bone" Sink Faucet Handles

Posted by, Paulette

One of the perils of having so many children is having things in your house broken...frequently. So I wasn't surprised to hear that someone broke the porcelain handle for the faucet, but I was disappointed.
I made a call to my aunt who has some schooling and experience in interior design, thinking that she might know of a place I could go online or maybe a store to replace the porcelain part of the handle.  Her answer to my problem was that I wouldn't be able to buy a replacement, but I could make one!

 Initially I thought that I would just make them look like the originals, But that was easier said than done. I wasn't able to get them smooth enough, so I decided to make them look like carved bone instead. There's so many things that you could do to make them unique. 
I used an aluminum foil armature, and then sculpted white Fimo plasticine clay which hardens in the oven. After it was cooled, I carved it with an exacto blade, and then painted it with a mixture of cream and brown paint, and wiped it off so that it just stained the clay. Then I used my drill to drill a hole through. There's a square knotch needed to fit the shaft of the handle through, and that was carved with the exacto blade. 
Then spearing them on chopsticks, they were dipped in polycrylic twice waiting until the first coat was dry.
The bathroom these go in is decorated in a forest theme. So they go perfectly.


How do you like seeing my reflection in that faucet. Fun huh?

Sharing at Feathered Nest Friday 
                 SNS Funky Junk Interiors

No comments:

Post a Comment