Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never Forget

Posted by, Paulette

As I drive down my street today, I notice that many people are flying the flag in remembrance of 9/11.

It's amazing to me that a piece of fabric can evoke so many emotions. As I pass by each flag, I have several thoughts pass through my mind. 

The first is a feeling of pride, for my nation, and for family members who are veterans of previous wars. 
Then sadness for those people who lost family and friends in the fall of the Twin Towers, and for those who have lost family and friends in the fight with terrorism. 

And then comes the strange part. I think of all of the new security measures at the airport and I think of a movie that I saw years ago, called "Total Recall." In it Arnold Schwarzenegger runs through an x-ray machine at airport security. And I wonder how the makers of that film could have know that we would need those some day. Am I strange? Probably not. I think a lot of women think the way I do. 

The last feeling I have to share is gratitude. I am grateful for our founding fathers. I am thankful for those who have gone before in the face of persecution and hardship to build our nation, and those who continue to build it. I am thankful that David (world's best husband) and Hyrum (my 12 year old son) got up extra early this morning to go place those flags in people's yards before going to school and work, and that I didn't have to go out into the rain and do it. I got to sleep in a whole extra 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment