Thursday, October 18, 2012

Gluten Free Sanwich Bread

Posted by Paulette

  Six years ago when I found out that I was allergic to wheat, I felt helpless. For years I had been grinding my own wheat and making whole wheat substitutes for most things. I went through a period of experimentation. I bought gluten free breads, blech! I made my own gluten free breads. The quick breads were fine, but the yeast breads bombed. 
The gluten free lifestyle has blossomed over the last few years. There are so many great products out there! I could finally have a sandwich again!
As you may have read in my last post, we had some a financial bomb land in our household. I decided to pick up one of the cookbooks I recently purchased and give the yeast bread a try.
It turned out fantastic! And now I am sharing the recipe with you.

Easy Sandwich Bread 
from Easy Gluten Free Baking by, Elizabeth Barbone

Wet Ingredients   
1 3/4 cups warm water
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs     

Dry Ingredients
2 1/4 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cups cornstarch (I used potato starch)
2/3 cips instant nonfat dry milk
1 Tablespoon xanthum gum
1 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)

Lightly grease 9x5 inch loaf pan with gluten free cooking spray

In a small bowl, combine water and yeast

In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add yeast mixture, oil and eggs.

Using an electric mixer, mix dough for 5 minutes on medium-high speed. (if using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment) Your dough should be soft, thick and sticky. It will not form a cohesive ball. If you are using a handheld mixer, the dough will try to climb the beaters. Use a rubber spatula to push it back into the bowl. The dough will not be as thin as cake batter. It should be slightly thicker, but of it looks too thick, add a tablespoon of water to achieve the right consistency.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Lightly spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray and cover the loaf lightly with the plastic wrap. If you cover it too tightly the loaf will have difficulty rising. Let sit to rise in a draft free warm place for one hour.

At least 15 minutes before the loaf is done rising, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove plastic wrap and bake for 55 minutes, or until internal temp. reaches 208 to 211 degrees. If the top begins to brown too quickly, cover with foil.

Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. This step is essential. The loaf will become gooey if it doesn't have air circulation. Store at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or slice and freeze.


 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment