Friday, February 11, 2011

Finding inspiration in catalogs and nature

Ballard Designs and Pottery Barn are two of my favorite stores. Why? You may ask. Because they have such great catalogs! They are great references for inspiration. As I was looking through my Pottery Barn catalog this week I noticed a trend. They are using tree branches in large vases with river rock on the bottom. Great! I have an anniversary vase. One that doesn't come out except once a year, to be filled with a huge bouquet of roses and cranberries. What a waste, right? There's no way I can afford to fill this baby with roses all of the time, but I have several trees in my yard that can stand to lose a few branches now and then. Especially the annoying one in the corner that insists on growing branches where it shouldn't, like at the base of the tree! 
 
Now, I live in Arizona, so I have leaves on my trees this time of year. Even after the week of frost we got this month. You could also use branches with no leaves. I heard Nate Berkus say that you should use natural things in decor. I still love my silk flowers and plants, but if you can get it for free, why not? 
Some examples for other seasons: 
 


Now let's talk a little bit about weeds. My Grandma Becky said a weeds are wildflowers. If you want them, they aren't really weeds. Considering she lives in the desert climate of Albuquerque this is a very wise thing to say. It's difficult to grow anything without water. But if you wake up to wildflowers growing in your front yard, you rejoice! Every spring  we have this beautiful weed that grows in our yard. Until it turns to seed they are glorious! 


My darling husband, Dave, brought me a few roses this morning from the grocery store. Alone, they were pretty pathetic. But with the addition of some of those weeds as filler, they are gorgeous!
Go and explore your yard and your neighborhood. Heavenly father has made us a beautiful world of variety to enjoy. Bring some of that inside, for free!
-Paulette

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your blog! I didn't know that you had one! I have 4, ha ha! I'm so excited to see more things that you create! :D

    ReplyDelete