Saturday, February 19, 2011

One Wild Ride

Around 5 :30 yesterday evening I was sitting at my computer playing a card game with my 2 year old daughter climbing all over me, thinking how much I really needed a nap, and "when is Dave getting home?" When I heard a scream come from outside my bedroom window from Chris, my 6 year old son. Startled out of my semi-daze I jumped up to go find him and find out how he'd injured himself and administer some mommy boo boo relief in the way of kisses and an ice pack, while holding him on my lap. It quickly became apparent to me that this was not going to be enough. Chris told me that he'd fallen from the swing and hit his head. He was developing a bruise on his left temple, and my first thought was to get him an ice pack. I picked him back up and cuddled him and he began to fall asleep. While I was laying him on the couch, he said, "Mommy, you look weird. I can't see you." My immediate thought was that he had a concussion, and I went to my computer to look up what I needed to do. Dave got home, and I told him what had happened and that I needed to take Chris to the hospital. Chris woke up crying, "Mommy mommy mommy," over and over again, and then started repeating, "I don't know what to do." I told him I do, and carried him out to the car. When we arrived at the urgent care, a nurse noticed that things weren't right and asked about Chris. He took us to the triage as soon as was possible. Next thing I knew there was talk of an ambulance and going into Phoenix to the children's hospital.

At the urgent care Chris was in and out of sleep, but once we got into the ambulance, he started to perk up. As we got in I mentioned to him that it looked like the inside of an ice cream truck!

Chris asked a question about the "doctor." To which the paramedic said, "if you're going to give me a promotion, I want the raise to go with it." Chris thought about this for a little while and then said,  "How about a dollar?"
When I explained that a dollar is a lot to Chris, but not to the nice paramedic, Chris offered him "a dollar and nine cents."
 My little guy was in earnest. He really would have given all of his money to the paramedic! I was so relieved that Chris was returning to my wonderful little fella again. As we entered the ER and were questioned, he was able to give some of the answers himself and enjoy watching cartoons. He said that the cat scan machine reminded him of a freezer. (It was cold.) 
I am so thankful that there are people who know more than I do, and that I have access to those people. From the information that I was able to get on the internet about concussions, to the doctor that knew that the kind of injury Chris had, could have developed into a lot more. I know this is going to add up to a huge bill, but I am so relieved that my cute little guy is okay. Isn't he adorable? By the way, I've done the ambulance thing once. there's no need to repeat it, okay? 

No comments:

Post a Comment