Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Gluten Free Snickerdoodles

Posted by: Paulette
One of the saddest days in my life was when I discovered that I was allergic to wheat. I used to make all my own breads, including tortillas. And to tell you the truth, I'm a cookie addict! Five years ago gluten free products were not what they are now. The baked goods tasted like they were made with cornstarch, and left a strange taste in your mouth. Now, you can get all kinds of yummy stuff that tastes just like ones made with wheat flour. The problem is that they are still prepackaged, sitting on the shelf for months, getting stale. Homemade is always better, right? So while I should be swearing off the cookies for good, I'm not. Today I made snickerdoodles. you know, the yummy cinnamon sugar chewy goodness. And lucky you. I'm going to share the recipe!

 Gluten Free Snickerdoodles
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
 
 1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups gluten free flour*
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon water (optional)
Combine sugar, butter, and vanilla together in a large mixing bowl and mix. Add remaining ingredients and mix until they form into a ball of dough. I use a teaspoon of water because I live in the Arizona desert. If you live in a humid climate, omit that ingredient. 
Mix together in a small bowl:
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon 

Roll dough into 2 inch balls, then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with the heel of your hand. Bake in 400 degree oven for 12 minutes.  
Remove to a cooling rack or aluminum foil.

*The gluten free bread flour I use is Pamela's. 
                       ENJOY!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment