Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pullover Sweater Converted to a Cardigan

Posted by, Paulette
I found this cute pullover sweater at Goodwill for $4. On half price day it was $2. Love that! I loved the color and the cable knit, but the pullover style just wasn't doing it for me. So I decided to make it into a cardigan.


Here's what it looked like before I cut into it.

And this is what it looked like after I slit it from top to bottom.
 
Fortunately, I've done this kind of surgery before. My friend received a cowl neck sweater for Christmas. She liked the color, but not the style. My friend is 16 years old, and very fashion conscience, and luckily with the help of some grosgrain ribbon and an exposed zipper, I was able to make it wearable for her. She loves it now.

So, with ribbon and scissors in hand, I got to work on this one. After cutting it up the center, I pinned, then sewed the ribbon of the same color to the right side of the fabric. This stabilizes the knit and keeps it from unraveling.




 Then it tuned the ribbon to the wrong side of the fabric and pinned and sewed it down. A little note here. I also singed the ends of the ribbon on a flame to prohibit unraveling. You could also use fray check, but then I would have had to wait for it to dry.




Then you're ready to add your button holes and buttons, or zipper. I chose mother of pearl buttons. They're my favorite for just about anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment