Friday, January 13, 2012

Simple Wing chair Slipcover

Posted by: Paulette

A couple of days ago a friend from church asked me to make a couple of slipcovers for her wing chairs. For me this is a relatively easy thing to do, since I've made so many fitted slipcovers already. She had already attempted to make one, and discovered it's not as easy as it looks. I would try a piece of furniture with straighter lines for your first. And this chair...well, this chair would have been a nightmare to cover without some experience. It had so many curves! Look at those kidney shaped arm insets. It took me a little bit to figure out how to gather the fabric to fit around those.

Do you see that spot that wraps around the bottom of the arm? It's a little bump out. Another feature that made it difficult to draft the pattern. My friend didn't want any skirt or welting on this. 

The hardest part for me was these covered buttons.

I didn't have a covered button kit, and tried to use a pair of pliers, a hammer and a socket attachment. I should have just bought the kit and forwarded her the cost. What a mess. Thank goodness that's all hidden on the underside of the button.
I used a painter's drop cloth that she provided for the material, and a contrasting bit of upholstery fabric for the buttons.

My poor friend had been watching Miss Mustard Seed's tutorials. They are wonderfully done. And I hope that some day she will try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment