Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sometimes We Just Need To REST

Posted by, Paulette

Today this is what I feel like,

 This is actually what I look like.



A friend of mine posted this in her Facebook notes today.

The Girl in a Whirl
 by 'Dr. Sue'
(a.k.a. Vickie Gunther)


 Look at me, look at me, look at me now!
 You could do what I do
 If you only knew how.
 I study the scriptures one hour each day; I bake, I upholster, I 
scrub, and I pray.
 I always keep all the commandments completely; I speak to my little 
ones gently and sweetly.
 I help in their classrooms!
 I sew all they wear!
 I drive them to practice!
I cut all their hair!
 I memorize names of the General Authorities; I focus on things to 
be done by priorities.
 I play the piano!
 I bless with my talents!
 My toilets all sparkle!
 My checkbooks all balance!
 Each week every child gets a one-on-one date; I attend all my 
meetings (on time! Never late!)
 I'm taking a class on the teachings of Paul,
 But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all .
 I track my bad habits 'til each is abolished; Our t-shirts are 
ironed!
 My toenails are polished!
 Our family home evenings are always delightful; The lessons I give 
are both fun and insightful.
 I do genealogy faithfully, too.
 It's easy to do all the things that I do!
I rise each day early, refreshed and awake; I know all the names of 
each youth in my stake!
 I read to my children!
 I help all my neighbors!
 I bless the community, too, with my labors.
 I exercise and I cook menus gourmet; My visiting teaching is done 
the first day!
(I also go do it for someone who missed hers.
It's the least I can do for my cherished ward sisters.) I chart 
resolutions and check off each goal; I seek each "lost lamb" on my 
Primary roll.
I can home-grown produce each summer and fall.
 But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all .
 I write in my journal!
 I sing in the choir!
Each day, I write "thank you's" to those I admire.
My sons were all Eagles when they were fourteen!
 My kids get straight A's!
 And their bedrooms are clean!
 I have a home business to help make some money; I always look
beautifully groomed for my honey.
 I go to the temple at least once a week; I change the car's tires!
 I fix the sink's leak!
 I grind my own wheat and I bake all our bread; I have all our meals 
planned out six months ahead.
 I make sure I rotate our two-years' supply; My shopping for 
Christmas is done by July!
These things are not hard;
 'tis good if you do them;
 You can if you try!
 Just set goals and pursue them!
 It's easy to do all the things that I do!
 If you plan and work smart, you can do them all, too!
 It's easy!" she said
 and then she dropped dead.

Okay, I'll give you a moment to clear the tears from your eyes from laughing.

I am so thankful for my talents. I am thankful for my family. And I have to tell myself that I am thankful for this:

 (That's just the clean laundry. The dirty laundry is still in the hall.)


And this:


 (Sink full of dirty dishes, dirty floor, a counter of stuff to be put away.)

The towel by the back door is there because one of the kids turned on the sprinkler and it was spraying that door. I had to open it to turn off the water. Again, another reason I am glad we don't have carpet there anymore.

And why should I be thankful for all of this? Because it means that I have a lot of family around to love me, and they are healthy to be making messes, and eating all of the good food that the Lord has provided. I should be thankful to be living in prosperous times, where I am more concerned about eating too much, than with where our next meal is coming from. 
 My house doesn't look like this all of the time, but often this is the state of things, and the other rooms aren't much better. But you know what?
We are all happy, and very busy! My friends feel comfortable about asking to spend the night on the fly, and they know that they are welcome to share dinner with us too. 
I do a lot of things, but I cant do them all at once. None of us can. 
The funny thing about the above poem, is I pretty much used it as a check list, and then laughed at myself for even thinking it!I find it interesting that exercise isn't mentioned in the poem....
 Today, I've decided to rest. Just a little bit. So please excuse the mess. If you drop by today, you're welcome to fold some laundry or wash some dishes. Make yourself at home!




2 comments:

  1. I SO GET what you're going through. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I was talking to Mom, and she told me. It's a crazy ride having 5 children, and if any of them have special needs,it just adds to the craziness. I admire you so much for taking that on, Jill.

    ReplyDelete