Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Peanut Brittle

Posted by: Paulette

One of my favorite things about Christmas is homemade candies. Today, I'm making peanut brittle. The first batch turned out...shall we say a bit smokey? If I'd waited until my candy thermometer read 300 degrees like the recipe suggested, my candy would have been black. So the birds got a Christmas treat. They'll love the peanuts!
As I've said before my photography skills could use some help. We all can't be good at everything, right? But I think this photo turned out well. You can see how glossy the candy is and the beautiful caramel color.
So, do you want the recipe? I thought so!

Peanut Brittle
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup peanuts
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

 

  1.   Spray a large cookie sheet with non stick spray. Set aside.
  2. In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts.
  3. Stirring occasionally, watch the syrup. When it turns a caramel color, it's ready for the next step. You can also test the mixture occasionally, by using a metal spoon. Dip it into the syrup, and pull out and watch how it drips off the spoon. You want it to drip slowly. But the color is the key. 
  4. Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter , vanilla, and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet.Push it around with the metal spoon. Then let cool. Snap into small pieces. 
If I had just watched the color, and trusted my instincts, the first batch would not have turned out smokey flavored. You'll smell the sugar begin to burn if the color gets too dark. So this is not the time to get on Pinterest!
Now, back to my candy making.

No comments:

Post a Comment