Friday, January 4, 2013

Joseph Had A Little Overcoat Cloth Doll

Posted by Paulette

I was so pleased to get a request from a client to make her a doll. She'll be using him to tell the story as she reads a book.

She bought some of the fabrics and sent them to me, making this a relatively easy commission to complete.
If you don't know the story it goes a little something like this:
(Please forgive my retelling of the story. The book is much better.)


Joseph had a little overcoat







It became too shabby to wear and so he made a jacket out of it.




It became too worn out, so he made a vest out of it




It became threadbare and so he made a tie out of it




When the tie was too worn out, he made a handkerchief from it




Soon there was very little to work with. The handkerchief became too worn out and so he made a button from it

 

 
And that was that. There was nothing left







I love that this book teaches about thrift. Joseph was able to make new things from the old, but I had to make each individual piece.



Which used almost 1/2 a yard of a beautiful piece of wool fabric.
I sewed a large snap to attach the  tie, to make dressing and undressing Joseph faster.

 

4 comments:

  1. Are you able to make a Joseph and Mary and the babe similar to this doll? ehquinn41@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that doll joseph had a little overcoat! You did a beautiful job. I've been looking for one because I am doing virtual storytime. Would you be able to make me one.
    Thank you!
    Sincerely
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  3. My email address is annamariar818@gmail.com.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a Joseph doll if you are still making them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete