Saturday, April 9, 2011

Refurbished Fruit Bowl

Posted by: Paulette
My Friend Becky's birthday is today. The girls (Katie 4yrs and Sophia 2 yrs) and I went shopping at Goodwill yesterday to buy her a gift. 

After looking around and picking things up and putting them down again, and taking things out of the girl's hands that they'd picked up, and putting it back on the shelf, and arguing about why Katie was not allowed to walk around by herself, whew! I found this lovely fruit bowl.
A little too...shall we say fancy schmancy or maybe just a little too gold, for my tastes. And her's too. She keeps chickens in her back yard along with her farm. At least that's what I call it. I have serious garden envy!
Back to the bowl. I thought that a little primer and a little paint would make this bowl more suited to her tastes. I painted the base with two coats of primer, and two coats of Antique White latex in semi-gloss.
2 coats of primer
And then painted on some antiquing glaze, making sure to get it into all of the grooves, and then with a damp paper towel, I rubbed it off of all of the convex surfaces.

All done!
 And this is how I'll be giving it to her. Unless the kid's eat all of the oranges! 



Now THAT'S pretty!

Mom always said that a gift is good when you want to keep it for yourself. I think this one fits that bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment