Thursday, March 31, 2011

$.15/LB Zucchini Makes a Lot of Relish

Posted by: Paulette


I'm still on the look out for great deals at the supermarket on produce and meat to bottle and add to our food storage. Last week my local farmer's market had zucchini on sale for 15 cents a pound. And they were firm beautiful squash, not bruised and rubbery. I knew what I wanted to do with them. Make sweet relish.
I pulled out the jars, and some and supplies and got to work.

The night before, I grated 2 large bags of  zucchini, and chopped the bell peppers (the recipe called for 5 for each batch, but colored bell peppers can be expensive. I only used 1 for each batch) and 4 HUGE yellow onions and sprinkled with salt, and let it sit, while I got some much needed rest. This step pulls out the excess liquid so that the veges are able to take on the vinegar and sugar mixture.

The next  morning, I rinsed the salt off of the veges and drained them. While they were draining, I mixed up: 3 cups of vinegar, 3 cups of sugar, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1tsp celery salt, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch, 1/2 tsp whole cloves, and 1 tsp caraway seed, in a large stock pot on high heat.
I let the sugar melt and then added the veges.

While the veges heated up to simmering, I washed my jars and put them in the oven to warm, and popped the lids into a simmering pot of water to soften up the rubber seals.

Then, each jar was filled and sealed, and popped into a boiling water bath for 6 minutes.

I had enough veges for 2 batches, so repeat the above steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment