Thursday, March 31, 2011

Faux Mercury Glass Bird

Posted by: Paulette


I found this cute ceramic bird at my favorite thrifts store for a dollar the other day. Someone had painted it with craft paints. Ewww! Yuck. I thought I could scrub the paint off. I used a wire brush and plenty of elbow grease and still couldn't get the red paint off of the flower and the leaves still had dark green veins on them.
So much for that idea!
Then I remembered seeing somewhere that you could do a faux mercury glass look with spray paint. I have lots of metallic spray paint leftover from making the trophies for Pinewood derby, so I thought I'd give it a try. If I didn't like it, I could always spray primer over the top and spray it white again.
So I started with the bronze spray paint. Then I spritzes it with water, and while it was still wet, gave it a shot of silver. Before the silver paint dried, I took a damp paper towel and pounced off the water bubbles. 
I don't know if it looks like antique silver or mercury glass, but I like the effect a lot better than the white bird with orange beak and mint green stand with red flower and dark green leaves. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment