Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Puzzle Chair

Posted by: Paulette
front

The first wing chair that I covered was relatively easy. This one was such a puzzle! The open arms on this chair made it very difficult to figure out how everything needed to go together. I ended up making small ties on the sides to tie the cover on under the arms and the sides to the back. You can barely see some of them on the left side in the back. I didn't want them to be a decorative feature, just functional. Basically I made some double fold bias tape, and then top stitched it closed. The arm pieces have a couple snaps under the arm to hold them on. Hopefully this works. I would hate to use Velcro. It gets so messy when you wash it. 
I made a shorter skirt on this one, so that it would compliment the other chair, but not exactly match it. And the legs on this one are prettier any way. I still have quite a supply of the mother of pearl buttons. I got such a great deal in those, I couldn't believe it! They were in a bag with the crafting plastic buttons, not hanging on cards, and I have to be careful which ones I use, because some are fragile because they're too thin. 
 I'm in the process of making new throw pillows. You can see the one I made with the red ticking, in this picture. I have quite a bit of that stuff. I was going to make a slipcover for another smaller chair and then changed my mind. I'm reusing the stuffing from the old pillows. Even the cording in the welting is reusable. It's so nice not to have to go and buy more stuff. I have so much stuff that it's nice to be able to use some of it up! 

back
Obviously, my living room floor is still unpainted. And you can't see it in this picture, but my fireplace looks like it's floating. The slab of marble that it was set upon was installed on the carpet!. Dumb, huh? Well fortunately we were able to remove the carpet from under it, and now the slab is leaning against the wall. Have you ever noticed how home improvement projects have a way of coming up with new and unexpected things to do? I have a friend who does trim molding, and has told me he has a solution to the "floating fireplace problem." Thank goodness for friends! By the way, the fireplace is fake. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment