|Pulling the carpet back to reveal...|
A scraping tool---> spackling knife
Tools for pulling up the tack bar---> hammer and flat head screwdriver
Something to cut the carpet into more manageable pieces---> craft knife
Something to clean up all of this mess--->broom and dust pan
Later as I'd gotten into the scary mess, I realized that I should be wearing eye protectors and gloves.
|Watch out! Flying debris|
I don't do much planning when I start these projects. I just jump right in. After peeling back the carpet I found a couple of things. First was that the padding was glued in some spots to the floor beneath and that I would have to scrape it off.
|Scraping padding off floor|
I also found that it was really dirty! After getting rid of some of the carpet and padding, I began popping up the tack strips. The are nailed into the concrete floor. Oh well. I have to patch the cracks anyway, what are some shallow holes added to the mix? Nothing!
I've learned a couple of things today. It's a whole lot easier to clean the concrete floor, which I already suspected and had confirmed when my two year old brought in the bag of popcorn that was left outside and sprinkled it across the floor before I had time to catch her and take it away. Whew! the other thing is that I'll need to do small sections every day, because this is back breaking work!
As I was taking my break, I was looking through a decorative finishes book, and dreaming about what my new floor would look like.
The space we finished today was double this size, and moving the entertainment center took a while to unhook everything and move. I hope to get a larger space done tomorrow.