Thursday, March 31, 2011

Just Your Average Day

I love being a stay at home mom. I get to do what I want to do almost every day. I say almost because who really wants to clean up vomit?
People are amazed at what I can accomplish in a day. I love to multitask. There's a lot you can do while waiting for the paint on the kitchen cabinets to dry.
Yesterday, I was exhausted after my usual day, and had a date to go out with a friend for some frozen yogurt to celebrate my birthday which was last Saturday. I got to bed about 10:30, and Hubby let me sleep until 7 today. Bless him!
In an average day I get up at 6am, clean up the kitchen from the night before, hang out a load of laundry (since my drier broke. Hopefully this is not a forever thing), pick up the living room, and get a couple of girls dressed. Sometimes I'm in charge of making the boy's lunches and breakfast for myself and the hubby. A protein smoothie is the perfect on the go breakfast. Sometimes the clothes go in the car with the girls to be dressed later.
On the good days, I get up at 5:30am and go  to the gym to work out for an hour before coming home to help everyone else get ready for school and work.
There's a lot of yelling in our house in the mornings. And usually the phrase is " GET DRESSED!" I don't know why it's so difficult for my boys to get themselves dressed, but it is.
After dropping everyone off, I get to either go grocery shopping with the girls, or come home for more cleaning up and whatever else I feel like doing. 
So what are we up to now? Somewhere around 10am? Today I was scrubbing the kitchen cabinet to prime and paint it. The 2 year old runs in carrying a bottle of shampoo, which she has drizzled across the house and is covered in. This is why I buy Suave at less than $1 a bottle! The four year old is naked and sitting in a doll chair in front of the front screen door. My neighbors do NOT need to see this! I yell at her to get dressed, and she just giggles at me. After cleaning up the 2 year old and getting the 4 year old dressed again, I put a coat of primer on the cabinet. Then a neighbor drops by and gives me a HUGE bag of lemons and 4 dozen eggs from her chickens. I can see lemon curd on the schedule for tomorrow, and another cabinet being painted. I get a phone call from another neighbor. "I found the box of lemons we were looking for yesterday. They were in the garage." LOTS OF LEMON CURD...
And maybe some lemon juice for the food storage.
It's about 11am. I've put another load of laundry out on the line, put a clean slipcover on the loveseat, and put the 2 year old down for a nap, after picking up their room. Time to fold some more laundry and put a coat of paint on the cabinet, since the primer is dry.
Check the e-mail, and see that there's a shut off notice for our city utilities, but the check is in the mail and they should get it today. It's now about 12:30, and time for some lunch. I guess I'll go fold that laundry on the couch. The 4 year old wants some eggs for lunch. Sounds good to me. So does a nap!
And the day is not yet over.

So what is your average day like?

No comments:

Post a Comment